As I wrote before, there is no formula to writing a musical (at least not for me.) I'm not working in a linear fashion, from the beginning of the show to the end. It's more circular, with one idea leading to another, then back again as a theme becomes a song, which becomes a reprise, etc.
This is what happened with "The Vegetable Song." I had lyrics, but no melody. So I reworked the lyrics; still no melody. I wanted a song that was light, fun, and danceable. I pictured Peter Rabbit singing a love song to vegetables, with giant vegetables dancing with him on stage. I wanted kids to know that vegetables are wonderful! But all my ideas fell flat until...
"What are about Rabbit Chase?" I thought. "Would it work?!"
Take the sped-up ragtime, slow it down to a normal ragtime speed, tweak it a bit, and... voilĂ ! It works! I'm delighted with the result.
So what was an incidental piece became the theme for Peter Rabbit. "The Vegetable Rag", as I now call it, is reprised three times in the show by Peter's cousin, Benjamin Bunny!
(Listen for two bits in the song that are nods to two of my favorite musicals, Godspell and The Sound of Music!)
No comments:
Post a Comment